Friday, June 19, 2009

Eww!

I have a lot to say today, so let's get this ball rolling!

Wednesday, Ron had a late afternoon service call. We decided that once he was done, he'd come home, pick me up and we'd go to the Olive Garden for dinner. Hey, I happen to love the Olive Garden, plus we have a gift certificate to go there. Bonus!

Ron called when he was on his way home. I finished getting ready, and right about the time I expected him home, I decided to go outside and wait on the front porch for him. We have a front door that has three locks. We have keys for none of them! So, if we're leaving the house and not just going to sit on the front porch, we come and go via the side door. By the way, here is a picture of the view from our front porch, while I was sitting on the glider! This has nothing to do with this story, I just love my front porch and my maple tree! (oops! I took this picture this morning and now I see that you can see our recycle bag still sitting there! Oh well. At least we recycle!)

Anyway, I left the house through the side door and walked to the front porch to wait for Ron. As I was walking, it had just started to sprinkle outside. Not too bad, I wasn't going back inside for my umbrella.

I went to the front porch and sat down on the glider, watching traffic. The rain picked up. And, then it really got freakin' serious. It started to rain harder than I've ever seen it rain before. Sitting on the glider, I was starting to get wet! I walked to the other side of the porch and I was still getting wet! It was crazy and I was stuck!

Ron finally pulls into the driveway, barely cracks his window down and says something silly like "ready?" HA! I told him that no way in heck was I walking the four feet required to get into the van! He turned the van around and had the passenger door right next to the foot of the steps. I still didn't move until it let up some.

Traffic was horrendous as all streets were flooded and lights at major intersections were out. I am not a good passenger and I was freaking out on my side of the car. Finally Ron suggested just going to a restaurant that was just coming up on the street we were on instead of driving all the way to the Olive Garden. Fine by me! Rosie's usually has good family type food. We haven't had a bad meal there. Until Wednesday night that is!

We shouldn't have changed our original plan. Rosie's was not on their game Wednesday night as both of our soups were cold as were both of our meals. Finally the waitress just stopped coming to our table because she knew she was going to be carrying something back! Not our best night.

Anyway, the following morning, we had these bugs all over our house. We had no idea what they were, but in telling the story to my brother Michael, he thought they might be Mayflies. Sure enough, a little Internet research showed that of course, Michael was right!

These two were from inside of the house looking through the screen at a couple of them.




From tip to tip these things are maybe two inches long! On the north side of the house, every screen has some of these things on them. When I went outside to try to get a better picture, there were hundreds all over the outside of my house, all on the north side! Here is one from the outside.


The strangest thing is today, Ron and I went to go out for breakfast. There are still a ton of these on the outside of our house, but now most of them are wingless and their bodies have changed to a light yellow or tan in color. I'm going to have to do more reading on the Mayfly. It is weird.

But, for now, we are covered in bugs. Eww.

3 comments:

Jim's Blog said...

LOL, They are late, but they are called Mayflies if I am not mistaken. Do a google search on that. They are quite common

Papa said...

UJ's right! follow this link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayfly

enjoy!

Mati said...

Better outside than inside!