Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Picnic Day

It's a beautiful day here in Lorain!

After Ron's service call today, we headed to Subway for a sandwich and took it to yet another park here in the area. This is Riverside Park and it's right on the Black River, just before it empties into Lake Erie.

It's not a huge park, but there is a small play area, a couple of covered areas with picnic tables, a few grills and a walkway next to the river. It's a very pleasant place, very peaceful.

The bridge in this picture is the bridge on Route 6 that goes over the Black River. It is a draw bridge and will open up in the middle when any big ships or tall sailboats go through the river. That's quite a sight to see. Here we are looking south and Lake Erie is behind me a little bit, to the north.

After we ate, Ron and I headed over to the walkway by the river. Again, we are looking south, and that is the same bridge as in the last picture.

I love being down here when the bridge goes up! Ron and I were on the other side of this bridge a couple of years ago when the bridge opened and what came in from the Lake? The Brig Niagara from Erie! Being born and raised in Erie, that was quite a sight for me to see. Yes, I got choked up. It was something to actually see her sail as all of my life, that ship was always in dry dock. Way to go, Erie. That was a great accomplishment! She is beautiful!

Back on topic, you can see Ron as I face north towards Lake Erie. You can't really tell in this picture, but beyond the green, straight ahead, is Lake Erie. You can get a good view of it when you're on the bridge from the last two pictures!

C'mon now, the pictures at least are a lot better than they were before Ron putzed with my camera! These are much better than my last batch!

We just spent part of the afternoon walking up and down here on the waterfront. While we're walking, suddenly out of nowhere I see this kid in a canoe. From where I was, he looked to be about twelve! I'm not sure how old he was, but he was already by me when I decided to take his picture.


I'm not sure where he came from, but he was heading from the lake into the river. Now here's a great adventure for a young man. Whatever he was doing, I hope he was having a great time! Now Ron and I are in talks to go rent a kayak and take a trip on the river ourselves. Never being in a kayak before, I'm not sure if we can handle it. I'm much more of a canooer than a kayaker, but we'll see. Could make for a great day!

So there you are. When we finally ended Ron's lunch hour, we drove over that bridge shown in the top pictures. I lifted my camera out of the window and up as high as I could an took a picture. You can see Lake Erie just after the bend in the river. Very cool.

So much for our little lunch time adventure for a Tuesday. The International Festival is coming to the Black River Landing this week. Stay tuned for more pictures.

No comments: