Thursday, June 25, 2009

Prickley Pear Cactus

I have a prickly pear cactus growing on the side of my house.

About three of four years ago, I was at Mike and Mary Jane's, and Mike gave me a leaf from his prickly pear cactus. He said to just drop it on the ground and forget about it. Yeah, like anything could be that easy!

I dropped it. And watched it. And it got ugly. It shriveled up, and looked dead. I thought the heck with it, I was just going to throw it out. I tried to pick it up but it was rooted on the spot! It might look dead, but it had some strong roots. Obviously, I left it here.

I am so glad I did! This thing is gorgeous when it's in bloom, and right now, it's in bloom! This first picture I took about 10:00 this morning.


This next one was taken at about 12:30 in the afternoon! Holy cow! What a different in just a couple of hours!


I know, I know, I desperately need some fresh mulch around here. Aside from that, isn't this gorgeous?

Here is a close up of the bloom. I think this year, I'm going to take a couple of leaves and put them in the front of the house too. This is the easiest plant I have in the flower beds!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, pick a couple for me too!! Put them in a box and send them to Ripley....we'll just see how they grow after they've been through the mail!! lol. I need something easy to grow too!

Ruth

Mati said...

Heck, if they can be mailed, send some my way too! I'll be the only one in Florida with a prickly cactus like this!