Tuesday, June 30, 2009

That's Just Wrong, Page 18

After dinner tonight, Ron and I went out to run a few errands.

I wanted to stop at Walgreen's and Ron wanted to stop for cigarettes. Since Walgreen's is closer, we stopped there first.

I got my few items and as I was checking out, Ron said since we're here, and Walgreen's sells cigarettes, he might just as well get them at Walgreen's. (Hello?? I thought that all pharmacies stopped selling cigarettes! But, I digress.)

When I finished checking out, Ron asked for his smokes, then pulled out his credit card. The cashier told him that he can't JUST buy a carton of cigarettes on a credit card, he had to make an additional purchase of anything else. Hello?? No.

Yes. She could not let him buy JUST a carton of cigarettes on his credit card; he had to make an additional purchase.

This is beyond absurd.

We asked to talk to a manager figuring she had to be mistaken about something. The manager was "too busy" to come to the front of the store, but he called her on the phone. I heard her side of the conversation, so I know she relayed the message correctly. With the manager supposedly on the phone, she said that while they don't allow cigarettes only to be purchased on a credit card, he would allow it just this once.

Allow it? Do you want my $50 or not??? (I know, a ridiculous amount for cigarettes!)

We said forget it; any other store would be happy to take his $50.

The more I thought about it, the angrier I got. When I got home, I went to www.walgreens.com and found the customer service link. I wrote a note asking why if we purchased an additional fifty cent pack of gum this purchase would be approved, or if we purchased $50 of other merchandise instead of cigarettes, it would be approved. WHY would they not just sell the damn smokes!

This makes NO sense to me. If you don't want to sell cigarettes, DON'T. If you're trying to bolster sales with this ridiculous rule, STOP. You just let $50 in sales walk out of the door on principle.

If I get a response from Walgreen's, I'll post it here.

As far as company policies go, That's Just Wrong.

2 comments:

Kitty said...

Go get 'em, girl! THAT'S the Ree we all know and love! Good luck with a written response from Walgreene. (Glad I don't shop there!)

Mati said...

I've never had a problem with Walgreens. I've purchased just cigarettes, recently in fact, and there was no problem. What craziness! If they aren't willing to take your money, you're better off shopping elsewhere! That will teach them!