Friday, February 10, 2012

Favorite Place, Photo Challenge

I struggled with this one:  favorite places.  Where is my favorite place?  I'm from Erie PA and to be honest, some of my favorite places are back there.  Presque Isle, or as we called it, The Peninsula, was always a favorite place for me.  I spent many an hour there, trying to find peace.  That was sure a good place to do it.

I had to dip into the archives, but this nice quiet spot is Perry's Monument.


Here is another favorite spot in Erie, the channel.  This is the channel from Lake Erie into the bay.  My girlfriend and I used to go down here maybe 3 days a week and walk up and down the channel at lunch.   Well, in the nice weather anyway!  This was not a winter time activity.  I'm not an idiot!


But I'm no longer in Erie.  Even after 10 years, I'm trying to make Lorain my home and most days it feels like it.  You have to find favorites in your new city to feel like it's home.  One favorite you need to find is a favorite restaurant.


Once I learn how to eat on my new diet, I'm hoping I can go back to Mutt & Jeff's!  I'm sure I can find something on their menu that I can eat!  Right now, it's just hard figuring it all out.   But that's another post.

Even on a dreary day like today, you gotta head to the shore some days to put yourself back into kilter.  Just being at the shores of Lake Erie would make me happy.  I really don't like being ON the water, but get me BY it and I'm happy.  This is at Lakeview Park.


Even a dreary day by Lake Erie can be a good day.  On the other side of the park is another favorite place that we don't get to often enough in the summer.  The bocce court!  Ron and I took up bocce a few years ago and we love it!  We've played in our yard, but it's not the same.  We call it "yard rules" with all of the funky hills, valleys and funny rolls we get on the balls.  That's why I like this park better.


And, another favorite place of mine here in Lorain - the library.  Some days you just need to get out of your head and escape reality.  You can't do that any easier than going to your library and finding a great book to take you away.  You can do some light reading


and follow the adventures of Kinsey Milhone as she goes about her job as a private investigator.  Or, if you need more serious reading, John Sandford never disappoints.


These are about the good guys versus the bad guys and the good guys win.  Some days that's just what you need to get you out of your own head and to a better place.  The good guy needs to come out on top.

And these are just a few of my favorite places.  I hope that I still have more favorite places just to discover.

2 comments:

Georgia said...

Oh, Ree, it's so beautiful at Lake Erie! I wish I could be there. I fell in love with it long ago and Iknow that I once will be there. Presque Isle would definetely be on of my favorite places there. It's a wonderful nature. I also love water like you do, well also from the shore and not so much when being on a boat. I was born in Duisburg at the river Rhine and we had there the biggest inland port of the world (I don't know if it is still the biggest of the world, but at that time it was). So water is an important element for me. Well, where I am now there are only a few lakes, not more...
And I LOVE books! I've collected about 4000. They are such heavy that we are going to make a library-room in our house in the first floor, because we are afraid that the floor int eh upper story can't carry the weight (we have got wooden beams which carry the wooden floors). If you are once in Germany you must come and emjoy sitting there and reading.

Unknown said...

I used to collect books until I moved too many times and crating them up and carrying them place to place got too much. Now I love my library where I can read whatever I want, and THEY have to shelve and dust them!! :)