Monday, February 06, 2012

Garage Door Update

Well, at least it's in.

As I mentioned in a prior post, this had not been all rainbows and sunshine to get this door in.   Home Depot was horrible to work with on this, as their staff from the door department to the girl in customer service who cashed me out, had little knowledge about what they were doing.  They could also use a refresher course in "customer service".

J&S Door Co. was the subcontractor that Home Depot hired to install this door.   Bill from J&S Door Co. is another one that I will make sure I don't do business with again.  Here is what happened.

The paperwork from Home Depot states that the installer will be calling me in one to two business days to set up an appointment to measure for the door.  After four days, I ended up calling Dave, the manager of Home Depot to find out why I haven't gotten a call.  I tried to tell Dave how this order has been a mess since the beginning but he didn't want to hear it.

He did call J&S Door though, and lit a fire under their butts to call me.  The office at J&S Door did end up trying to call that afternoon.  They called the wrong number, but they did call me.  They ended up calling Ron's phone, which I had told Home Depot was NOT the number to call and to take it off of the account.  Ron let me know they left a message on his phone, so I called them back and left a message on Thursday evening with the correct number.  Friday morning, we finally spoke.

I told the office that I wanted to be there for the site inspection and she hemmed and hawed and said it would just be a quick inspection and measurement.  I explained that it's MY money being spent and I want to BE there when he comes over.  We arranged for the inspection to be done last Monday at 5:00 pm.

I get a call from Bill the installer at J&S Door just before 2:00 in the afternoon telling me he just got done with the inspection and everything is fine.  I said it's NOT fine as he was supposed to be there at 5:00!  He actually asked me "well, why do you think YOU need to be here for this?"  Um, I don't know, because it's MY MONEY??

He claims the office never told him to be there at 5:00 but the office swears it was on the paperwork.  One of them is a bold faced liar, and at this point, I don't care which one it was.  He's telling me that no one needs to be there for the inspection since he was able to get everything he needed just by looking in the windows.  Well, I'd like to know then, why after he hung up with me did he rattle the man door trying to get in to the garage and then knock on the house door.  Just curious.

He came on Friday to install the door and here is the door.


When I ordered the door, I asked for a handle on the outside of the door, no lock, just the handle, in case I have to manhandle the door up some day.  Do you see a handle?  Oh yeah!  Bill decided that I didn't need one on the outside where I wanted it, so he put it on the inside!  He thought it was better this way.  Yeah, Bill.  Here is another reason that had I been there for the inspection, perhaps you would have learned what I wanted and expected and PAID for.  Just sayin'.

So, I'm not happy.  I have already heard that I'm just being a bitch and it's fine the way it is.  I don't agree.  Well, maybe I AM being a bitch about it, but it's not fine the way it is.  It's not the way I ordered it or paid for it.  But, whatever.  Bill liked this way better.

Through out the entire process, I was made to feel like my breasts and ovaries automatically discounted me as a customer who deserved respect.  Just another stupid woman trying to do a man's job of ordering the garage door.  What could this stupid woman know. 

What this stupid woman knows is that I would not use Home Depot again.  

What this stupid woman knows is that I would NEVER recommend anyone using J&S Door Co.

What this stupid woman does know is how to blog.   Home Depot and J&S Door Co. - think twice before hiring either one of them.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Gift cards or not, I would have asked for my money back. Especially after someone - regardless of who - said that I was just being a bitch about it. I don't think they would have appreciated it if someone had referred to their woman that way.

I hope your post makes it to the high-ranking folks at HD and they do something to make this right.

Cathie said...

Sis, you picked out a very nice door. Sorry it was such a negative experience. I recommend you email a copy of your blog post to HD and J&S.

Georgia said...

The door looks nice, but I can understand you very well. And: You are NO BITCH at all. I think the same way you do, it's your money and you rule. I'M going througha really bad time at the moment because the company which made the ceilings in my house did all wrong and the don't want to pay for what they destroyed during the construction. My night was sleeepless, because I always get really evil letters from lawyer. Sometimes I'm close to giving up. It's all too much for one person.

Marvellous Studio said...

Nice, Thanks for posting
best carpet cleaners