Thursday, March 29, 2012

Happy Day, Penelope!

One year ago today, Penelope came into our home.  And my life has been changed for the better ever since!  And here is my baby girl.


I have a few Penelope stories to tell today on her happy day.

Most of my rules for the cats in the house have been pushed out the window.  For example, no cats in the bedroom.  Yeah, since I couldn't get a cat door in the door to the bedroom, we just sleep with the door open now so the cats can come and go as they please.

Penelope will start the night on the floor by the bed but during the night, she needs to sleep on ME.  I usually sleep on my back but sometimes on my side.  Penelope will crawl up on my side or hip if she HAS to, but she much prefers to head butt me in the nose to tell me to turn over.  Once I'm on my back, she likes to crawl up on my chest or my belly.  Now, if she just crawled up there and laid down to sleep, I'd be jiggy.  But noooooo!  She needs to walk around a bit to find her comfy spot.  And, the kneading with her front paws.  For real, it's a good thing I love her because my chest is black and blue from her!  She has tiny petite paws and her 14 pounds of weight pushing against them tiny paws hurts like heck!  But, I love her!

Here is Penelope on her favorite window perch. This is one spot that she will defend from Benny.


I had her to the vet recently for her yearly check up and booster shots.  She's still happy, healthy and up to 14 pounds.  You know the rule, when Mama is on a diet, everyone is on a diet!  The vet told me to "watch" her weight.  A year ago she was 11 lbs 6 oz (which is exactly what Benny is now up to!) and now she is 14 pounds.  "Watch" her weight.  I'm not sure if she's good at 14 or if she needs to lose weight.  I need to call the vet and verify.  After all, when we brought her in last year, she had been living outside for at least a year.  Was her weight down then and good now?  What is "watch"??  When you only weigh 14 pounds, ounces can make a big difference so to be safe, I'm cutting down on her wet food.

I give them wet food (canned food) in the morning and when I get home from work.  I have dishes of dry food out for them all of the time.  Treats, I just really tend to forget about them.  I have bags of treats, and they get three small treats at a time, maybe once or twice a week.  I don't think I'm over treating them.  So, I cut back a bit on their wet food.  They still get one teaspoon in the morning and they only get another teaspoon in the evening now every other day.  Hey, I have to start somewhere, as I want her to continue to be happy and healthy.

One thing we always remarked about Penelope is that she's not a purr-er.  I never heard her purr.  Sometimes when I was scratching under her chin, I could feel the vibration of a purr but I never heard it.  Recently, and I mean in the last couple of weeks, Penelope has now found her purr!!  It's freakin' awesome to hear, even if it's three in the morning and she's walking on my chest!  Penelope has finally found her purr!

Penelope and Benny still have their moments.  Benny still chases her and they still seem to fight at least once a day.  But, they are better than they were.  I think she still hates him or at least would rather do without him.  But then last night, they were both laying together on the seat of the recliner.  Aaah, peace in my house!  It's few and far between but I relish those moments.


Penelope has been with us a year.  It's been an eventful year and she has truly made my life better.  Every morning, she is curled up in my lap as I have my breakfast and every evening she is back in my lap while I'm putzing on the computer.  You can't buy that kind of love.

Thanks for walking in our door, Penelope.  I am SO glad you chose me!

1 comment:

Georgia said...

Thank you, Ree, for this nice cat story. I miss my dogs... you are so lucky having your little Penelope!