Saturday, March 31, 2012

Share and Relish - Spicy Fried Tofu with Peppers and Cashews


Another exciting installment from me for our Share and Relish theme!  So far, Georgia and I (and even one from my brother, Jim!) are submitting recipes that we like.  These are not recipes that you just found on line or in a magazine, but one you and your family actually eat and enjoy.

I came across this recipe originally when I was having my niece and her family over for dinner one night.  I went searching for vegan recipes and found this meal.  This is a spicy, tasty gem that Ron and I just love.  I have adjusted it to our tastes and I always say I'm going to try it with chicken but for some reason, every time I make it it's with the tofu.  Yummy yummy yummy!

I made this recipe as I have it written down and then tried to figure out the Weight Watchers PointsPlus value.  So, this is the recipe as I made it this night.  For as many pictures that I took, I missed taking pictures of one step.  Work with me, I'll talk you through it.


Ingredients:

1 lb firm tofu
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp ground coriander
1 packet sugar substitute (I used Splenda)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 cup cashews
2 Tbsp peanut oil
1 large red pepper, deseeded and julienned
1 large orange pepper, deseeded and julienned
1 large green pepper, deseeded and julienned (or any combo of peppers you like)
1 cup green onion (I forgot to buy them so I used a vidalia onion)

Open the package of tofu carefully and pour out the liquid then place the tofu on a cutting board.


I've cut the tofu a couple of different ways before, but this time I just took the tofu and cut it to make four blocks out of it.  Take a cookie sheet, place a couple of layers of clean paper towels on it and put the four blocks of tofu on top of the paper towels.


Cover the tofu with a few  more layers of clean paper towels, I put another cookie sheet on top and then put something heavy on top of the cookie sheets.  This is known as pressing the tofu and what you're doing is trying to get more moisture out of the tofu.


I leave the tofu pressed for about an hour.   They say it makes the texture much firmer, but all I can tell you is that I like the results when I do this.

In a small bowl, place the cumin, coriander, Splenda, salt, garlic powder, paprika and cayenne pepper.  Stir well to combine and set aside.


Cut the pressed tofu in to small cubes  and transfer them to a bowl.


Sprinkle the tofu with the reserved spice blend, toss well to evenly coat the tofu cubes and set aside.

In a dry wok or large non-stick skillet, place the cashews and cook for 3-4 minutes or until lightly toasted and fragrant.  Remove the cashews from the wok and set them aside to cool. This is the part I forgot to capture in pictures!  It happens fast though.  When you start smelling the cashews, get them out of the pan.  They will burn quickly.

In the same wok, heat the peanut oil, add the cubes of tofu and stir fry 5-7 minutes or until crispy and lightly browned on all sides.  Remove the tofu cubes from the wok with a slotted spoon and set them aside.


In the same wok, since I used a vidalia onion, I started frying them first for maybe 2 minutes then added all of the peppers.  Stir fry for 2-3 more minutes. 




Roughly chop the toasted cashews and add them and the cooked tofu to the wok and stir fry one more minute to reheat everything back up. 


Spoon into a large serving bowl and enjoy!



Try this out and treat your taste buds.  We love this dish and I know you will too!

I split this into 6 servings giving it a Weight Watchers PointsPlus value of 12 points per serving.  I need to work on that.  Maybe less cashews or less peanut oil.  Or, just save up and take the 12 points for dinner!  It's SOO worth it!

1 comment:

Georgia said...

This is an awesome recipe, just what I would love to eat. I'M so glad about our "kitchen exchange".