Sunday, April 08, 2012

Rhythm, Photo Challenge

I was just going to take a pass at today's challenge.  I had NO idea what to do for rhythm and then it hit me this morning.  There is a rhythm to cooking, especially when you're cooking a holiday dinner.

The older and wiser I get (HA!) I have a lot more respect for my Mom.  I was only cooking for four people today.  On any given holiday, my Mom would cook for TWENTY four people and have it all hot and steaming and wonderful on the table, all at the same time.  I never once saw her look at a clock for timing or start counting minutes out loud.

Me:  30 minutes for the sweet potato fries, 3 hours for the ham, clean and cut the strawberries, train leaves Los Angeles at 6:00 pm doing 72 mph, what time do I start cooking the asparagus????

Rhythm.  You need to get into the zen zone while cooking and not panic.  Even though it's family, I always panic.  I need to look like I'm in charge and I know what I'm doing.  I tried to get into the "rhythm" of today.  Here was the challenge:

Baking a ham.


I asked Jim what he'd like for dinner, assuming he'd pick something that went WITH ham, like scalloped potatoes or sweet potatoes.  No, he said he wanted lasagna!  Since I like to spoil Jim as much as I can, I made him Easter Lasagna today.  That just added a degree of difficulty to getting my rhythm going.  


You have to have hard boiled eggs, even if I can't eat them.


Eating healthy with some asparagus.


Who doesn't love cucumbers?  Another item to clean and cut up.   Breath.  Stay in the rhythm.


Barley and mushrooms, a new favorite dish of mine.


 And, strawberries for dessert!  


Finally, all was on the table at the same time and we all sat down to enjoy!


My rhythm isn't as good as my Mom's was, and it wasn't our traditional Slovak Easter dinner, but it all got on the table and we all had a great dinner. Rhythm.  I got my mojo going.

And, because my brother Phil loves me, he got me a little special dessert for doing all of the cooking!!  Margaritaville on MargaREEtaville!  Life is good!


5 comments:

Lisa said...

Interesting interpretation! Nice job!

gramster said...

OMG! You're Slovak! Now I know why I really like you. I'm Slovak and Croatian. The good food folks!

Georgia said...

Happy Easter, Ree! Let me give you big hugs!
When I read your blog post I smiled, because we had a very similar Easter dinner: green asparagus with in butter roasted breadcrumbs (Bohemian way to make vegetables), mashed sweet potatoes and grilled meat. Isn't that funny?
Again happy Easter to all of you!

Georgia said...

Oh, and we had eggs and cucumbers, I forgot to mention!
Next time we should do the cooking job together, if there weren't so much kilometers between our homes. ;o)

Unknown said...

Thanks, ladies!

I sure do miss those traditional Slovak holiday meals.

Unfortunately, I never learned how to make most of it. :( But, it was good food even if it wasn't Slovak food.

Georgia - we can cook ANY time together! I think we would have too much fun!