Saturday, September 20, 2014

Commercials

Yes, I probably watch too much TV.  What I don't watch a lot of is commercials since I have a DVR.  I do love fast forwarding through commercials!

I hapened to see two commercials today that I had to write about.

The first one was for an upcoming movie, Annabelle.  Remember the movie Chuckie about a possessed doll?  This looks 100 times SCARIER!  I'm not a fan of scary movies but holy cow, the freakin' commercial scared the crap out of me. Trust me, I may be sleeping with the lights on tonight.  Dang! If the commercial freaks me out like this can you imagine if I actually went to see the movie?  No, thank you.

Another commercial I saw today was for Chevrolet.  I guess their new cars are coming out with their own Wi-Fi.  Now I guess some people that "work" out of their car, like salespeople, might find a use for a mobile Wi-Fi spot.  But the commercial I saw was trying to talk up the advantages of family in the car with Wi-Fi.

Call me old fashioned . . . but that's now he we did it when I was a kid.

Sunday rides were cheap entertainment for us kids when I was young.  Dad had to watch us all on Sundays and like I said, this was cheap entertainment.  We didn't have Wi-Fi, we didn't have ipads, ipods, game boys or anything else I don't know how to use.  We had comic books, we had the alphabet game, we had license plate state counting, we actually talked to each other, told stories, did a million things to occupy ourselves on a long car trip. All without Wi-Fi.

I know, I'm old fashioned.  Generations before me would say "you had electricity??  We lived without electricity and we walked to school up hill both ways" and all that.  I know I'm going into the information age slowly and kicking and screaming.  Hell, I just learned what an "app" was in the last year!

The bottom line is, I couldn't understand why people needed smart phones.  Now I have one and I can't imagine not having one.  Now I'm poo poo-ing a Wi-Fi in my car, I guess when my next car comes with one, I won't imagine how I lived without one all these years.

Commercials.  They're here to tell me what I need before I know I need it.


No comments: